Monster Riding is the ability to ride monsters. Common monsters ridden are Krab, Manta, Tarantula. Other monsters are also ridden just not quite as easily due to the lack of a seat or flat face to stand on.
Tarantulas are commonly ridden by X.A.N.A.-fied people. The Tarantula head is shaped almost like a seat, thus allowing the rider to be able to sit securely on the Tarantula. This was used by X.A.N.A. William in Lab Rat and Dog Day Afternoon and a X.A.N.A.-fied Aelita in Lyoko Minus One.
Manta riding is easier than Tarantula riding due to the flat back of the Manta that is highly sensitive to the point where scratching it just right allows you to control it. Manta riding is commonly done to get to the Core of Lyoko but requires precise timing as the Mantas aren't the fastest monsters, and the Southern pole of Sector 5 fluctuates open-closed very rapidly. In The Key, both Ulrich and Aelita rode Mantas controlled by Franz Hopper. Manta riding has even been perfected by X.A.N.A.-William using the Black Manta. Odd frequently does this. In "The Pretender", Aelita rode one to get to the Way Tower.
Riding on Krabs isn't done as often as Tarantula or Manta riding but has been used in one of the more notable episodes, "Marabounta", by Odd. And also by X.A.N.A.-William a couple of times.
Other monsters ridden are
- Kolossus (By Ulrich and X.A.N.A.-William who were actually fighting on his shoulder)
- Blok (Usually ridden short distances just before being killed)
- William - Has ridden the Kolossus, Manta, Black Manta, Krabs, and Tarantula.
- Odd - Has ridden Manta (First to do so), and Krabs (also first to do so) and, for the most part has invented Monster Riding.
- Ulrich - Ridden Manta (twice), the Kolussus in a (Fight to the Finish) while in a literal fight to the finish versus William (who was possessed at the time), Bloks but only long enough to trick them while he destroys them.
- Aelita - Tarantula, Manta, and Krab.
- Most monsters ridden are destroyed by the rider.
- Odd started the monster riding "sport".
- Manta's are the most commonly ridden monsters.
- Kolossus is the only monster to have 2 riders at once.
- Yumi is the only person who hasn't ridden a monster yet.