Odd and Aelita being virtualized in X.A.N.A. 2.0
|First appearance||X.A.N.A. Awakens (chronologically), Teddygozilla (production-wise)|
|Purpose||Virtualizing users on Lyoko|
Virtualization is the process of being virtualized onto Lyoko.
The only possible way (shown in the series) to do this is to go into the scanners. The process is not fully detailed but it appears to be broken into stages.
- The first stage is avatar recognition. Jeremie selects an Avatar and the computer realises the stored genetic structure of the Lyoko warrior.
- The second stage is scanning. The person's molecular structure is identified and stored if the person is new, or simply identified if they are not.
- The third stage is the final virtualization, this consists of the character's "digitization" (conversion from physical matter into digital matter) and finally, their appearance on Lyoko.
It has been revealed in Code Lyoko Evolution that people may only be virtualized within 12 hour intervals of their previous virtualization. This serves as an inconsistency from the previous seasons. For example, in the episode Common Interest, Odd was virtualized with Ulrich to do a sweep of the Ice Sector to locate an activated tower. Jeremie brought both of them back to pick up Aelita who was recovering in the hospital. Odd was then virtualized again with Aelita and Yumi not much later the same day to help Aelita to go to the activated tower. Then again in Dog Day Afternoon, Odd was virtualized with Aelita to the Desert Sector to cover her while she enters the tower that was controlling the William Clone to install new security features in it. After Jeremie brought them both back to Earth, not much later in that day, Odd was re-virtulalized to the Mountain Sector so Jeremie could try and undo Odd's fusion with Kiwi (who was in the scanner with Odd when he went to the Desert Sector with Aelita, unbeknownst to both her and Jeremie). And then, when the Superscan detected an activated tower in the Ice Sector, Aelita was virtualized again with Ulrich to deactivate it. It hasn't been made clear why this 12-hour rule is apparent in Evolution, but this setback has served as a problem for the Lyoko Warriors in fighting X.A.N.A.. It's possible that being materialized while retaining life points allows one to be virtualized again.
This process can have mistakes, both due to operator error and machine error. Instances of this include:
- In "Frontier", Yumi virtualized Jeremie incorrectly, dumping him into the Virtual Limbo.
- In "Dog Day Afternoon", Odd brought Kiwi in the scanner with him, causing their DNA to merge.
- Due to outside interference in the Virtualization Enhancement Program, in "Kadic Bombshell", people were virtualized into the wrong Sectors.
Humans who have been virtualized
In order they are:
- Franz Hopper
- Aelita Schaeffer
- Odd Della Robbia
- Ulrich Stern
- Yumi Ishiyama
- Jeremie Belpois
- William Dunbar
Non-humans who have been virtualized
- X.A.N.A.-Odd/Ulrich (Clone)
- X.A.N.A.-Spectere (Particles)
- Aelita decoy (Clone generated with Jeremie's laptop)