|Don't give up with that girl, Odd. Just look at me, I never lost hope with Yumi!|
–William in How to Fool XANA
William then and now
|First appearance||New Order|
|Hair color||Black (Dark bluish-black in Lyoko)|
|Powers|| Super smoke|
Energy waves (fired from sword)
|Voiced by||David Gasman|
|Portrayed by|| Live Action: Diego Mestanza
French Voice: Diego Mestanza
William Dunbar joined Code Lyoko in the second season as one of Yumi's classmates. He became the sixth member of Team Lyoko, until his first trip into Lyoko, when X.A.N.A. possessed him and used him as his general until episode Down to Earth where he was freed and returned as an ally (although in Fight To The Finish he is possessed by X.A.N.A again.) In Code Lyoko Evolution episode Cortex, he was allowed to rejoin the team as the sixth member. But was kicked back out for leaving Odd locked in a closet. He was brought back in again in the episode Rivalry.
William was kind of a loner at first, having been kicked out of his previous school for posting love letters everywhere, but Yumi soon takes to him as a friend. To nobody's surprise, William wants to be more than just friends, causing conflict between him and Ulrich when both of them vie for Yumi's affections. His appearances in the show become more frequent during the third season, when Jeremie suggests to the team that William join their group, much to the disagreement of the rest of the warriors. As fighting on Lyoko becomes harder and harder and X.A.N.A. starts to force Aelita to delete several of Lyoko's sectors, the group decides to let William join.
However, X.A.N.A. takes advantage of William's ineptitude and uses the Scyphozoa to take control of his mind and body, effectively trapping him in Lyoko. Jeremie creates a stable polymorphic specter with William's basic memories, and a basic personality in order to prevent suspicion amongst the school. Over time, this "clone" becomes much more popular than William was, but due to his 'dumb' personality, he unknowingly causes trouble for our warriors. His personality also becomes a bit of a gag in the show, best seen in the episode Wreck Room. In episode Down to Earth, William is finally freed from X.A.N.A.'s control, and returns to Earth. However, his behaviour pre-X.A.N.A. causes tension between him and the rest of the warriors, who are reluctant to associate with him further, as seen in Echoes.
William's role in the new series, Code Lyoko Evolution, is to seek redemption, which he later succeeds. After Odd got himself locked up in utility room, William, instead of letting him out, went to Lyoko. For this, Odd was really mad for him, even having an thought of devirtualizing him. After rejoining the team, they stop fighting and became friendly to each other. In Rivalry, William and Ulrich puts down their disagreements after William saves Ulrich from falling into Digital Sea. William becomes more serious about the missions in order to be worthy for others to trust. He seems to be one of the better Warriors on Lyoko.
William wields a sword called Zweihander. It's name literally means "Two-Hander". Traditionally, Zweihanders are wielded with two hands due to their great weight. Evidence of the sword's weight can be found in the episode 'Final Round', when William attempted to hold it with one hand, and then dropped it. His sword also fires energy blasts when he swings it. However, it is unknown whether it was an ability given to him by X.A.N.A. or if he already had it before.
- Super Smoke: An ability much like Ulrich's Super Sprint, but instead of simply running at speed, William becomes smoke to pass away from people, monsters or things. The black smoke can suspend other people in a paralyzed state. Super Smoke is known to be by far even faster than Ulrich's Super Sprint. He still has this power in Evolution. Since he has no vehicle, this is his only transportation.
- Second View: The ability to see much farther away in the same sector. This is was only available while under control of XANA.
- Levitation: An ability that allows him to levitate by holding his Zweihander by both hands and pointing downward. Only available under control of X.A.N.A.
- Tower Control: Ability to activate a tower for X.A.N.A, from the inside or outside. This mimics Aelita's and it is possible X.A.N.A allowed him to use a version of the Annex Program. Only available under control of XANA
- Monster Riding: Ability to ride monsters on lyoko.
- Black Manta - A unique Manta for William to ride on as a vehicle.
- Rorkal - A virtual ship like a Nav Skid created for William, but he was given a black, independent one by X.A.N.A, who made it by using the data he has stolen from the Skidbladnir through a Scyphozoa in The Lake.
- Nav-Skid - one of Skidbladnir's minimum sized fighting ships. In original Skid, there was one more which was propably meant to William. After he rejoined the team, he got one for himself in new Skid.
- While possessed by X.A.N.A. in Lyoko, his sword's look changes, giving a resemblance to the Soul Edge from the Soulcalibur series and having an eye of X.A.N.A. just above the grip.
- His sword also bears an uncanny resemblance to the Buster Sword wielded by Final Fantasy VII's protagonist, Cloud Strife. It also resembles Pyramid Head's Great Knife from the Silent Hill series.
- His outfit bears an uncanny resemblance to the one of the Prince of Persia in the game The Two Thrones as well as Darkness Riku's or Vanitas outfit from the Kingdom Hearts games.
- His sword also appears similar to the black and white parts of a Tower in Lyoko.
- He was the first character to recieve a new, more modern/futuristic outfit in Jeremie's upgrade, although William's was given to him by XANA.
- He was the only character to obtain a XANA suit. (unless one counts the polymorphic clone from Revelations who shape shifted into an evil Ulrich)
- X.A.N.A. likely chose to possess William because it saw the most potential in him as a weapon out of all the other Lyoko Warriors due to his recklessness.
- In Episode Vertigo, it is revealed that William is afraid of spiders. Ironically, he rides on Tarantulas that resemble spiders.
- There was an unused Nav Skid on the Skidbladnir when it was created. It was, most likely, intended to be used by William in case he was taken back from X.A.N.A.'s control. Once freed, he is seen in his own Nav Skid in The Warrior Awakens.
- He was the last person in the real world to be possessed by X.A.N.A , before Code Lyoko Evolution, though he still remains the last one as there havent been any new human-posessions yet.
- Oddly, in a A Lack of Goodwill, he wore the new clothes his clone had. But when in Down to Earth, when he is freed from X.A.N.A, he was wearing his old clothes.
- In the Final Round, he began to glow purple under X.A.N.A's control when he ran extremely fast or levitated. Later in the series, he just uses his "super-smoke" ability to accelerate.
- Odd's arrows cannot hurt William while he using Super Smoke, as seen in Bragging Rights.
- William's sword is a specific type of Zweihander called "schweren Schlag." It is a type of Zweihand that has a heavier bass blade, spanning the entire hilt. Normal Zweihanders weight around 15 kg, while the schweren Schlag is between 30 kg and 45 kg. This may be why William cannot wield his sword in one hand, as most fighting styles can utilise this.
- In Double Trouble, William recalls the events from The Secret in a dream - despite those events never happening due to a return to the past. The reason for this has not yet been explored in the series.
- In A Bad Turn, he reveals that he participiates in the micro-kart club, and extends an invitation to Ulrich to join, which he accepts.
- In the french version of Code Lyoko, he is played by Mathieu Moreau.
- On Lyoko, William's form is a Doppelsöldner . Doppelsöldners were specific types of mercenaries who volunteer to fight which means to take on extra risks. In exchange, they earned double payment. Interestingly, they also used the Zweihänders.
- It is possible that William dislikes chemistry class. This is said in Ultimatum as he tells Odd "Lucky you, we got chemistry".
- In season 3 it was strongly indicated that William constantly pulls pranks on Jim.
- So far, he is the only Lyoko Warrior with 2 battle themes.
- When William was repossessed by X.A.N.A in Fight to the Finish, it shows that he didnt have resistance for X.A.N.A like others did when X.A.N.A tried to possess them in A Great Day.
- William is the only Lyoko Warrior in Code Lyoko Evolution who doesn't have X.A.N.A.'s source codes. This is due to the fact that he wasn't at Lyoko during their last battle with X.A.N.A. in Season 4
Real Life (Seasons 2 - 4)
Real Life (Evolution)
Lyoko (Season 3)
Lyoko (Season 4)